Skip to main content
Think you need the perfect thing to say or do when tragedy strikes? Think again.  In this blog we will talk about how Pink Package came to life and how you can be involved in your [mom, sister, colleague, friend, boss, neighbor]'s cancer journey.

Sitting in the Emergency Room...
It's 11pm a week before Christmas. I'm sitting. Alone. In a dark hospital. My husband had finally gone into surgery for an emergency appendectomy after 11 agonizing hours of waiting. But what am I thinking of... how freaking starving I am. Selfish, I know. 

Phone a Friend...
I'd just had my fourth chemo treatment the day before and I hadn't eaten anything all day. I was exhausted and so hungry that I was contemplating eating the sugar packets by the very dirty coffee machine. I picked up my iPhone to call my friend and colleague Susan; someone who can effortlessly make me laugh. (Susan if you're reading this... I feel violated. I'm not sure how, I just do. Little inside joke).

I Need a Burrito!
"Susan?"
"Yea..." 
"I know it's late, but I'm starving.  Can you just bring me a burrito, a ham sandwich, a salad, SOMETHING before I fall out of this chair?"
"Oh, I am SO glad that you called. I've been thinking about you constantly and I just haven't known what to do. THANK YOU for giving ME something to do.YES! Burrito! I'm on it!"

A Grand Gesture...
That night has stuck with me for a lot of reasons, but the most vivid is that conversation with Susan and realizing that there were probably a lot of people who were thinking about me (and our family of 4) and just DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TO SAY OR DO! 

The thing is, YOU DON'T HAVE TO SAY OR DO THE PERFECT THING (quick nod to our Pink Package headline) when tragedy strikes and you don't need a grand gesture. Send a text that just says 'hey, thinking of you today'. No one in their right (or wrong) mind would be offended by that. DO IT! JUST. DO. IT.

And if you're looking to do more...
Pink Package has curated monthly subscription boxes and one time care boxes that you can gift to someone with just the click of a button.  You can know her spirits are being uplifted through jewelry, journals, inspirational quotes, wellness exercises and so much more and that it came from YOU because Pink Package has given YOU something TO DO FOR HER and that is a great gift for all.


Coming to Life
Pink Package has come to life through my own personal experiences with breast cancer, chemo, surgeries and further treatments. But also through the experiences of my loved ones and those I've met along the way who have gone through their own cancer journey. My sister, my grandma, my neighbor, my friend. 

There are so many women out there affected by cancer. I have collectively drawn on their experiences to curate a mix of items truly aimed to help those going through a cancer journey. For the mind, body and soul.  


"You have to persevere through the appearance of defeat to get to victory" - Pastor Wes Feltner

I am so, so, so grateful for all of the supporters I have had throughout my  journey and who helped me get to victory. I hope I can turn this seemingly dark challenge into something that gives light to others. 

So now the question is...
Who are you going to PINK?!

Pink Package



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not as Planned: Adventures at Mayo

To preface: I was never a big social media poster before, during or even after cancer treatment. AND I am in no way announcing a recurrence so let’s take a collective breath and read on… What I am sharing is that breast cancer doesn’t end when you’ve completed treatment. You don’t “move on” from that experience. You try not to worry about every pain and symptom. And you might even do a pretty good job of this. But then something happens, that gut instinct kicks in and you know it’s not just nothing. With it being the start of Breast Cancer Awareness month today I felt it was appropriate to share how important it is to pay attention to your body. I paid attention to my body. I continue to pay attention to my body. I saw visual changes in my chest this past month and a new pain that had me laid up in bed. After visiting with my brilliant oncology team at Mayo they ordered a cocktail of tests and scans to check it out. (Sidebar- it never settles well when you’re oncologist uses the word “

By Survivors for Thrivers

  Three years ago, I joined the club that no one really wants to be in. However, what I have come to realize is that this “club” is full of the most amazing women who have inspired, offered support, raised awareness and are of the kindest, funniest humans you will meet. I consider them to be among the greatest gifts that I have received while on this continuing journey. It is my absolute delight that you will get to “meet” four of these remarkable women throughout the month of October. They have given their time and assistance to help create a truly impactful campaign for this month of Breast Cancer Awareness. A campaign we are calling “By Survivors for Thrivers”. I got the very difficult job [ 😉 ] of connecting 1-1 with Tina, Emily, Jacque and Nancy as they shared their breast cancer journey. We quickly realized that though there are certain similarities, each experience is unique from the time leading up to a breast cancer diagnosis, during treatment and beyond. The constant was
Designed by Team Pink Package "PRACTICING GRATITUDE CAN GIVE YOU MORE ENERGY, DECREASE STRESS AND MAKE YOU MORE OPTIMISTIC ABOUT WHAT IS TO COME." -  Dr. Randy Kamen,   Psychologist. Educator. Author  @TEAMPINKPACKAGE we think everyone could use a little of this! Whether at a crossroads at home, health, work or school it is important to remember the power of positivity. Surround yourself by others who allow you to think positively and be optimistic. You have enough going on without a debbie downer at your side! We recently read an article on how the act of practicing gratitude can shift your thinking and literally affect your health for the better. No, I get it, it's not going to cure your cancer, find that perfect guy, or get you a new job, but it will help you stay positive through these challenges to get you through the journey.   Recording these positive experiences boosts levels of alertness, enthusiasm, determination, attentiveness and energy, es